יום שבת, 29 במאי 2010

Post from Cannes Film Festival


What Cannes has to do with learning and training?  Nothing.  Simply my son, a film director doing his first steps in the industry directed a film that was chosen for the official short film contest in Cannes this year.
I joined my son for the last 4 days of the Festival.
I was involved in film making years ago, but never had the opportunity to be in a film festival at this magnitude.  The festival is located in a confined area by the yachts harbor.  A cinema theaters' complex, where the big auditorium can host approximately 2000 viewers.  This is the auditorium where the red carpet leads.
The festival has two aspects: a trade show where almost every film production company in the world has a booth, or a tent by the sea shore, or a rented yacht - ready to make business.
The other aspect is the festival itself that is used like a marketing arm for the trade show.  The two depends on each other: the trade show brings in the money, the festival brings in the glamour.
This is the reason why the film chosen for best feature film came as a big surprise.
I saw the winning film - a thai film.  It was hard for me to stay awake.  It is a strange amateurly produced, and awfully edited.  I simply can't comprehend what were the reasons for this selection.
And this is my point: selecting winning films that will not be viewed by many people, and will not get common consensus as quality films, will deteriorated  the festival good name.  If that happens, the trade show  - depending on the festival good reputation - will go elsewhere.
My son did not win any prize, but we had great time, and the very fact that the film was selected to the contest is an excellent springboard for my son's career.
Amir

תגובה 1:

  1. Just to remind you that our first meeting was when you were in charge of video production unit in the IDF.

    השבמחק